Homemade Elderflower Cordial is the perfect summer drink, add it to a gin and cucumber collins or refreshing sparkling water and slice of lime, either way this light and sweet cordial is best shared with friends in the sunshine!
And how about making mini bottles for all your wedding guests as a cute and delicious wedding favour.
2 ½ Kg white sugar – preferably caster
1.5 litres of water
20 fresh elderflower heads, stalked trimmed
85 g citric acid
- Add sugar & water into largest saucepan you have and heat through until dissolved, do not boil at this point. Stir as needed.
- Whilst this is heating, use grater to extract lemon zest from lemon and then slice lemon into rounds.
- Once sugar has dissolved, bring the pan of syrup to boil.
- Wash elderflower heads, having shaken out for bugs. Add to syrup along with lemons, zest and citric acid.
- Cover with lid and leave to infuse for 24 hours.
- Line colander with muslin filter cordial through.
- Sterilise bottles with hot water and or in oven on low temp. Fill bottles and use within 6 weeks
Makes 12 bottles (250ml)